There are two different types of motivation that can occur to a person. The first type is extrinsic motivation. This is characterized by having an incentive or someone giving you a reason to do something. The second type of motivation is known as intrinsic, where a person does something from a feeling of interest or a commitment that makes a person want to accomplish something.
For myself, I can say that I am very intrinsically motivated in my education. I want to get an education out of a need for knowing. I've been a full-time student in college since 2005 and I still have a strong thirst for knowledge. I have no one to thank but myself for getting me where I am today. My parents kicked me out of their house when I was 18, and since then, I've achieved an eduction that neither of them were ever capable of achieving, and I've done so without any support from them. I plan on continuing my eduction until I have a Doctorate. I feel some need inside that wants me to contribute to a field of study and help other people like me continue to build on what humans can understand. After all, mathematics was here before us and will be here after we are gone.
I think it is great that you did it for yourself and succeeded. I can't imagine how diffiicult it must have been, but you should be extremely proud of yourself!
ReplyDeleteWow! Out of the house at 18? That must have been tough. Good for you for still being so motivated and getting an education for yourself. Especially in a field like Math where there is a greater need for teachers.
ReplyDeletewow, Alton, you sure are an inspiration, another kid in your situation might have gone the wrong way, for your achievements I congratulate you and keep following your intrinsic motivations.
ReplyDeleteGood for you, it is nice to see even through someone's hard times is as motivated as you. That is what our students need to see if someone who has a strong will to succedd.
ReplyDelete